Pavis

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 23:17:41 EST

Michael Raaterova
>Remember, the cult of Pavis is the only cult that has access to all five
>elementals, AFAIK.

I'm going off-topic here, but this statement is not quite true -- the cult of the Seven Mothers gains access to Earth, Fire, Water, and Darkness elementals through a special subcult or associate cult. They don't have sylphs, true, but they get Lunes, which makes a total of five. And, in First Edition RuneQuest, Orlanth had access to all five elemental types.

And I think he should still have them, and a few other deities, too. Many years ago, I began working on the RQ3 elemental rules, and part of that involved defining what cults had access to what elementals. I thought that it made sense for the larger, more widespread and powerful cults to have access to multiple elementals, through subcults or associate cults. Thus, priests of Yelm might be able to command other elementals through his servants, and Ernalda could certainly borrow elementals from her various Husband-Protectors and/or her children by them.

In this scheme, Wind Lords of Orlanth have access only to sylphs, and they get the standard spells from the Four Magic Weapons: Lightning from the Lightning Spear, Mist Cloud from the Scarf of Mist, Great Parry from the Shield of Arran, and Dark Walk from the Sandles of Darkness.

But, Storm Voices, the priests of Orlanth, would gain very different magics from the Four Magic Weapons, as befits their different divine focus: they would gain Command Salamander, Command Undine, Command Gnome, and Command Shade from these subcults.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com