Love the Elder Races as thyself

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 18:24:46 +1300 (NZDT)

Pasanen Panu:

>>> Why there are no elder races that would still affect everyday >>> life (of humans)?

Me>> Because humans like to live in human communities and not have to
>> deal with inhuman elder races.

> Why does it have to be so in Glorantha? They could very well _not_ > be racistic bastards, or at least towards some friendly elder race.

Look at the typical human-human interactions in glorantha: The Dara Happans hate the Darjiinites. The Pentans are hated by the Pelorians, the Kralori and the Praxians. The Seshnegi and the Safelstrans despise each other. The Arbennan do not like the Kresh. The Kralori hate foreigners and look down on ignorants.

Now you have been complaining at the lack of an Elder Race (or two) that goes into exactly the same environment as the humans in each and every one of those territories* and to top it all the humans are friendly towards this Elder Race (or two) whereas they can't be friendly to each other even if their lives depended on it. How in glorantha is this miracle going to happen?

*The Morokanth don't count because they're confined to Prax and the Wastelands, the Ducks are confined to swamps, Elves don't count cause they live in different ecological zones etc due to the limited imagination of the authors.

>> How can you
>> reasonably expect them to drop their blinkers for the Elder Races
>> who are even more monstrous?

> Oh, done with science and magic.. and through ages long alliance.

Magic in glorantha is not a panacea for social ills (I exclude the alleged panacea of the Kingdom of War and the Cult of Silence for their cure is worse than the illness). If anything, magic has aggravated social ills like seemingly providing proof that a course of action has divine blessing.

If by science, you mean knowlege of the Elder Race, then again you run into problems. Many of the human societies have distorted beliefs about each other: The Orlanthi believe the Malkioni have no Souls frex. So how can you expect them to have clear and accurate knowledge about the friendly elder races?

And what's this age old alliance you speak of? The only people to be friendly towards everyone were the Dawn Age Heortlings. No Elder Race bothers to aid the modern Orlanthi these days for what their forebears did. Very few people in the Holy Country want to restore the rule of the Only Old One.

>> The current distribution of the Elder Races in glorantha has been
>> an unconcious extension of this philosophy [of suppressing the
>> Elder Races].

> That's _exactly_ my point.

So? What else do you realistically expect gloranthan humans to do given that they can't be nice to each _other_?

>> Sure there are some places where the Elder Races and humans live
>> side by side. But most outsiders visiting these places are glad
>> that they are not living there.

> And people therein are happy, and more Gloranthan than the others, IMO.

How can people be less gloranthan if they hate elder races?