Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #344

From: Kaselov-Sandberg <md24855_at_dredd.swipnet.se>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 09:00:07 +0100

Jane Williams wrote:
> On Blank Heroes and Blank Deeds: how about killing the Bat? We
all know=20
> it was defeated at Whitewall, but has the method or the list
of=20
> combatants ever been made official? Maybe Broyan got your PCs
to do the=20
> job.=20

Actually, I once asked Greg about this and he said something like: "Weren=B4t that in KoS?...." Well, what Broyan and his household did was, they know they can't kill the Bat as such. But on the Bat's back there are riding a whole bunch of priests controlling the actions and maneuvers of the 'B 52' and they can be eliminated. Broyan and his housecarls (which in my campaign involved some suicidal PCs) teleports up on the back of the bat and chops the priests up (which in itself is not an easy achivment - put not sheer impossible). The Bat is then uncontrolled and wheels off into the unknown...

Of course there are a whole load of problems realting to game rooles and such with this "solution", but I have never let rules stop an epic scene in my campaign, and didn't do so this time either.

The most obvious objection to this description is "When the Bat gets uncontrolled wouldn't its first action be munching that 'whole-tasty-city-just-a-few-hundred-meters-away' up?" I never got around asking Greg that one though...

> Who actually was it who summoned the Brown Dragon? We know a
few of the=20
> names, but not all: maybe they were PCs?

As I read the relevant passage in KoS, there is most likely more than seven participants breaking into the Lunar Ceremony - if your PCs aren't deeply into HQing and stuff they can at least be good all plain bodyguards trying to hold the Lunars at bay while Minaryth, Orlaront et al do their chanting/summoning thing...

To Peter Metcalfe, for his brilliant interpretation of Wolf Vikings, Bija, Frosty Giant lands, etc: my deeply felt admiration. I almost feel liking going there setting up a campaign myself. Can't you all feel the mystery and hidden secrets vibrating through Peter's paragraphs of ice and fleet and hail....

Cheers,

Patrik
kaselov.sandberg_at_swipnet.se