Dark spooky places; Carmainian Horrors; & compatability

From: CWARD_at_srv0.bio.ed.ac.uk
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 11:16:31 +0000

Hi All,

Elder Races in the closet

Sergio writes
> Look, putting
> trolls to dark places is like imagining monsters under your
> bed in the night. And like thinking that the abandoned house
> is haunted. So usual, and, somewhat boring.

 I hate to step into stormy waters when I usually don't paddle... , but there is obvious difference between putting Trolls in dark  places <I thought they'd put themselves in all the good spots anyway - Uz viewpoint :) > and imagining monsters in haunted houses.  ie the Trolls are not imagined, they are actually there (in Glorantha  anyway).

Carmania

This point links in a way to Loren's excellent method for producing Carmanian horrors. Should all of these horrors have a "real" Gloranthan existance, or be the stuff of nightmares and camp fire tales ?

If I remember right, doesn't "Vikings" have a scene with a "Dragon" which turns out to be a "more mundane" monster ? Perhaps many of the tales told of these beasts are based on unexplained events, or carcases from Snow Lion kills, or whatever.

Perhaps some of the Carmanian monsters are only or primarily met in local hero quests, rather than encountered on the mundane plane ? Maybe they are foes from myth to be overcome to gain Rune Magic ? Or phantoms from a mythical age that can only interact with dreamers etc.?

Game compatibility

Just a thought on the new game, I understand that it cannot be RQ but I think it is important that it can be converatible. One of the good things about the RQ2 to RQ3 conversion steps was it allowed RQ2 junkies to convert in the other direction. I think it is highly desirable that certain elements like POW, common magic/spirit magic, and rune magic etc are maintained in  some form. I would just like to be able to visualise RQ PCs & NPCs in the new game & vice versa, as is currently easily done with PDP.

Well I've rambled for much longer than I intended and it's way past my lurking time. See you all - Chris.