Bija

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 12:44:45 +1300 (NZDT)

Stephen Martin:

>A subtly different suggestion -- perhaps the Glacier has _receded_ during
>the Ban of Fronela? Outsiders wouldn't know it until the Ban started to
>recede, and even then it would take decades for most civilizations to
>discover it.

The big problem is that we wouldn't get any indigenous population (like the Neechen) there because of the Ban.

>The main reason I prefer this scenario isthat a recession of Valind's
>Glacier seems more likely to me than an advance, since we know for a fact
>that the temperature in northern Genertela has been getting warmer over
>the last few centuries, thanks to the Lunars.

This only applies to Peloria AFAIK. Fronela should still have harsh winters.

>This also has the advantage
>that most published maps are accurate for most of history, instead of
>having to say that most of them are accurate only after 1575 or so.

Only two schematic maps are affected in Trollpak and the placement of the Glacier in there is uncertain. There's enough error in those maps to justify a placement of a strip of tundra about a couple hundred kilometres wide between Winterwood (and Porent and Rathorela) and the Glacier.