Re: Modern thinkin

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 10:13:49 +0000

Mikko Rintasaari :

> Panu writes:
> > Why the humans would not have accepted the elder race culture? This
> > makes definite distinction to most fantasy worlds, AFAIK. The elder
> > races, after all, are elder and thus wiser.
>
> They are older, thus wiser may well apply.
>
>so there... remember to question your own world views, fellow 20 cen
>hoomanz.

But what do they do with their wisdom? What is the evidence of it?

Everyone knows that Troll _eat_ people, that's wise? Aldryami are plants, their culture is indivisible from the ecology of their forest homes. Mostali are incomprehensible machines with no personality. Where does wisdom come into it?

Sure, human cultures have borrowed (stolen) from the elder races, taking technology from the Mostali for example. Some humans worship Zorak Zoran for his powerfull war magics, and the Kitori tribe in Dragon Pass is composed of human and troll clans. Still, trolls, mostali and aldryami are as different from humans as they are from each other. Not just different in culture, but fundamentaly different in bilology and psychology, and in their emotional responses. They just don't - can't - think the same as we do.

They aren't just different races - they're different species, to the extent that the concept exists in Glorantha.

Simon