Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #352

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 10:39:34 +0000

> Then don't get my point. Why their preferred living areas must be
> so different from human lands? IMO, uz would cheerfully take any
> and all forested and rich lands given half a change. Mostali
> factories could very well be above the ground in some places.

Uz would love to take over the forests - it's just that after they've been there for a while, they'll have eaten it all down to the bear earth. The trolls did not choose to live in Dagori Inkarth because it's a desolate wilderness - It's a desolate wilderness because trolls live there.

Aldryami only live in forests because ther're plant's - forest plants for the most part. They don't have a choice, and they don't want one.

Mostali live underground because : a) They use a lot of rare metals and minerals which are only found in deep mines anyway, in this sense they don't have a chice any more than Aldryami do. b) There's so much more space. On the surface world they'd be imited to a flat, two dimensional building space. Underground, their cities can have many hundreds of levels, thousands even. c) It's ALL THEIRS - why bother fighting over surface real estate when they've got unlimited expansion space underground. Nobody else has the mining and engineering capabilities of the Mostali, so they use them to maximum advantage.

>Dunno. Say, do many RW humans you know of have magical properties?
> Can their priest call the gods to his aid? There are differences.

Well, since you're obviously an atheist I'm sure you truly believe this. The fact is that the vast majority* of the real-world human species disagree with you.

Simon