Re: Why do we dislike Mostali?

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 11:40:29 +0000

Owen Jones :

>To me this doesn't quite fit. Part of the problem is that I
>can't imagine the world machine as mechanical.

Well, the Mostali do. Perhaps that's why you have difficulty getting to grips with their mind-set.

>We know dwarves produce nilmergs and jolanti, but the process is
sorcerous
>rather than technological.

True, but at the end of the day sorcery and technology are both magic.

> ......A jolanti climbs cooling from a vat of magma
>only after the appropriate spell has been cast. His sensory organs are
>carved by stonemasons, but require sorcery to get them working. If you
>were to cut one open, you would surely find stone organs rather than
>little cogs. My point here is that dwarves put as much effort into
>working with spirit as they do with stone, iron, bronze, fire, dark
etc.

I think by spirit you realy mean spells, but stone, metal, fire, etc - all these are magical too. Mostali have a mechanistic conception of how magic works, which fits in with their pseudo-technological world view.

Simon