Godunya and Boss Did It

From: Vesa Lehtinen <akuleh_at_sci.fi>
Date: Sat Jan 24 17:43:16 1998

Nils:
> >Senile? Where did you get that from?

Peter
> Prosopaedia: 'In his rare public appearances...'. What type of
> leader do we know of that makes 'rare' public appearances? The

        I would not draw conclusions about Kralorela based of the 20th century. = Godunya is
not a democratic or pseudo-democratic leader who is active in politics. = He is a Dragon
Emperor with a divine status. He _does not have to_ appear before the peo= ple to make
speeches or proclamations (except in *very* special cases) and it is _not=  expected_ of him.

        Kralorela is very hierarchical society. Only people Godunya regularly = deals with are
his pseudo-dragon bodyguards, Exarchs and mandarins and servants assigned=  to take care
of his household. And his pets, probably. Exarchs delegate his directions=  to mandarins, who
order their subordinates around. The large majority of Kralorelans do not=  expect to see the
Dragon Emperor during their lifetime and if they do, that's something to = tell your
grandchildren about. They feel the presence of their ruler through the = social ceremonies
organized to honor him (and transfer magic power).

        Godunya himself is in the process of turning himself into draconic form.=  The initial
stage he has reached may satisfy his subjects but he is still a beginner.=  It takes centuries for
draconewts to reach what they want and probably longer for human beings. = Still, that may
make his sterile, but not senile...

	What it means in game terms ? I haven't the foggiest idea...
	Some of his mandarins really may think that he is beyond the pale but =
IMO, they are
in for very unpleasant surprise ...

Loren Miller commented:
>You know what? I'd rather have the problem that I need to change one or =
two
>local event lines than develop all of them at once.

        My point may be similar; I'd rather get additional inspiration from what the PCs do than have to watch them to do nothing.

>Untrue. It happens, but why are the people talking about Argrath destroy=
ing
>the Devil's Head? Your player characters did it, but everybody thinks =
that
>Argrath was responsible. They ask the PCs what Argrath was like in perso=
n.

        That's exactly what I think. IRW, the generals get the the credit and soldiers get the bullet. Did Patton do nothing else than lead the soldier= s in
Europe, for example ? I am not saying that leadership would not be import= ant
but the boss usually gets the credit of what you did, so ...

Death to Argrath
Vesa "Aku" Lehtinen

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #359