Elder Races

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 13:22:24 +1300 (NZDT)

Pasanen Panu:
>>> Open your eyes, then. Humans occupy about all open land on Genertela.
>>> Some other races dot places here and there, and mix in elsewhere as
>>> minorities.

Me>> If they mix in then they are hardly 'put away'.

> I should not have used that wording. They have their separated areas, > mostly.

Well people for the most part like living with others of similar culture. Why should this be any different for the Elder Races? Or do you want to walk into a gloranthan pub and find a troll drinking with a dwarf?

>> Do you know why most Uz live in barren wastes? It's because
>> there are wild trollkin eating everything that grows. They

> This could be one reason. It is also said that humans have > driven trolls to their homelands from some places.

I can only find _two_ instances of this occuring, one in Ralios (Corolaland) and one in Kralorela (Coromandol). So to blame the humans 'putting away' the Uz to their current locations is farfetched.

>> Above ground [the Dwarven] earthsense is stuffed and they are
>> nearsighted to the point of legal blindness.

> Hmm.. makes me doubt Iron Mostali efficiency.

And humans have defeated Dwarven armies in the past. They just don't commit suicide by making frontal attacks on them.

>> And you have chosen not to respond to the point (that Stephen and
>> I have made) that the interaction of the type you suggest (elder
>> races living alongside humans en masse) poses a great deal of
>> difficulties. I wonder why?

> Not any more difficulties than putting Jews and Christians to
> same place. Different habits and stuff, yes. But not everyone
> wants to kill each other, some do.

Did you not read it? The problem was not that they would want to kill each other but the fact that both sides would have to make drastic changes in their lifestyle/culture. Which does not happen if you put Jews and Christians together or Bosnians, Croats and Serbs together or Hutus and Tutsis.

>>> Exactly. Ever wonder why dragon has to get a cave, when it could >>> just as well sleep in a river?

>> Clue for Panu: Dragons are not Elder Races and do not sleep
>> in caves. You must be thinking of the Other Game (tm).

> Dragonkin is Elder Race IMO.

And Dragonewts don't live in caves either. Can we restrict the topic to gloranthan animals, please?

>>> I have said that to meet Elder Races you have to cross a border >>> (as Campbell presented it).

>> So what? To meet the Praxians, one has to cross a border. Yet
>> I don't see Panu crying in the wilderness about how the lack
>> of Praxians everywhere in glorantha...

> Going to dangrerous land of savages, Prax is not same as going to
> Shadows Dance and to meet some people of the night. Praxians
> are humans, even if their neighbours do not appreciate 'em.

So the Elder Races are treated just like humans of other cultures in their distributions? Thank you Panu for that admission. I take it then you retract your statement that the Elder races are put away because of the authors' limited imagination? (Which was your original claim that sparked of this thread BTW).