Re: 20th Century Analogies

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 18:18:57 -0500

Peter Metcalfe writes (defensively):

> I make no apologies for using RW political analogies and feel
> they are highly relevant to the understanding of gloranthan
> motivations.

I agree 100%. What's more, I'll take the offensive: I think it is both easier and more amusing to both understand and play in Glorantha if we employ RW (and even 20C) analogues in looking at the world. The Loskalmi "Happy Nazis", the "Soviet" Lunars, and now Deng Xiao Godunya -- each of these concepts is easier to grasp than any number of tomes of Staffordian lore, and probably contains more immediately playable fun and possible scenario inspirations to boot.

Before our foreign chums misinterpret me: I'm not saying "We should turn Glorantha into a parody/pastiche of the real world." I'm saying that, by keeping an eye open for cases where a RW parallel Opens Doors, we can all save ourselves time and trouble.

::::
Nick
::::