Godunya; Id?

From: Vesa Lehtinen <akuleh_at_sci.fi>
Date: Mon Jan 26 11:41:02 1998

Couple of comments
>(ie gravity exists
>because zero-g roleplay is far too bizarre).

        Well, IMG (because the first players asked) I told them that "Earth Mother Loves Us All ands wants us to be with her" hence the gravity. Falling from great heights, though, is too much a good thing - she is too eager ...

>Do atoms exist?

        Does "Outer Atomic Explorers" ring a bell ?
>Do RW elements exist?

        Hopefully not.

Peter Metcalfe about Godunya:

        Awright, we apparently have a different conception of a term "public appearance". To me it means just the like Brezhnev waving from the Kremlin balcony. Meeting with mandarins IMO is not "public".

>He has a mantle of authority similar to the Pope, the Ayatollah, the
>Japanese Emperor, Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler, Mao Tse-tung and all
>the bygone Kings and Emperors. All of whom have had to make public
>appearances in their career.

        Yes, because they at least have to _pretend_ that they are concerned of what the people think and rally them to follow his cause. Godunya does not have to care and his subjects do not expect him to. If he would, Kralorelans would be mondo confused; "Emperor doing the Mandarin's work ? Surely the end is near !"

        And the kind of locust-eating ceremony you describe  would be just the "very special case" I was talking about.

        Of course it still undetermined what "rare" actually means. Once a century ? (too rare even to my taste). It may mean that his appearances are not regular (he does not take part of the yearly ceremonies) or just that he appears only once a year. But as Nils says, this is a conjecture.

>Incorrect. He is developing a Golden Complexion.
> Whether this is ... simply
>a gold proxy-automaton has yet to be determined.

        Interenting idea, in fact, but with that automaton they could easily turn the rare appearances into common appearances. That machine could easily exist to be used in cases the Emperor is too busy or in some kind of threat to be assassinated.

        In fact, there could be one those RW examples you like; If the bodyguards of the presidents of most countries would have their way, the president would _never_ venture outside - somebody could snipe him ! And if he is physically frail (possible even with high spiritual power) they would like to keep all the possible distance between the crowd and the ruler in case somebody could stab him. And the cultural missile weapon of Kralorela is a crossbow - not to mention "far-reaching evil magic of westerners..." After all, it is a bodyguard's work to be paranoid...

>Godunya has been in power for five centuries. He is the longest
>reigning Emperor since the Dawn. If he is still a beginner then
>something is Terribly Wrong.

        Of course we could blame the God Learners again

Panu
> Talking to the priestess from behind a curtain sounds familiar.

         Right-o, man

Simon said that:
>On the psychology front Sandy petersen - on eof the authors of Trollpak
>- - has said that, in Freudian terms, Trolls only have an id. They have =
no
>ego or superego. That's a lot more than a minor mind-set difference.

	This is _very_ simplified, since I am more a Jungian...
	Very roughly speaking, Id is animal instincts who
Freudians so much deride. Since Superego is supposed to be influenced by ubringing, all trolls would not benefit at all from their mom=B4s ministrations and spanking. Does not make sense.
	Ego is conscious control. Lack of that does make sense.
	However, Id is supposed to be totally subconscious.
Part of the Superego is also supposed to be partially subconscious - you parent's "voice" can take effect even if you do not want that. So we can assume that what Petersen _meant_ (where I have heard that before) that the trolls do not have much self-control. I do not necessarily agree but that _does_ make sense.

Death to Argrath
Vesa "Aku" Lehtinen