Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #361

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 15:58:51 +0000

Richard Develyn :

>I can only do this if it is made clear to me what parts of THE
Glorantha
>which I know are sacrosanct and what parts are individual GM
>controllable.

Overall events up to 1640 are pretty well documented and known, after that things get much more vague in terms of dates and such. Most stuff post 1640 is only known from the records written hundreds of years later, leaving huge scope for variation due to loss of records and hisorical revisionism. This means that it's easy to run a game starting in, says, they 1620s or 1630s, build the players up to runelord/minor heroquestor status and then realy go for it large style thereafter. The details depend on where you're setting your game.

>If you say none of it is sacrosanct then at some point or another
>(probably pretty soon) I'm going to go wildly divergent from the logic
>which holds THE Glorantha together.

What are you likely to do inyour game that might make such a thing happen? Can you give an example? It would help us understand what you mean enormously.

>All I'm asking for is a little bit of extra information, which you may
>well have, and which would give me flexibility within my own campaign.

Ok, well what do you want to know? I'm sure there are plenty of very knowledgeable Gloranthan sages around that would be more than happy to help. I think this is realy a case of not seeing the wood for the trees though.

What you _realy_ need to know about Gloantha is how things work at a mythic and historical level.A campaing timeline might tell you what happens and when, which is a nice easy framework to work in, but the real trick is to understand _why_ things happen and how events affect each other. Once you understand the processes at work behind the scenes, figuring out the consequences of an action becomes a whole lot easier.

Simon