Gloranthan Science, Monsters In The West

From: Hibbs, Philip <philip.hibbs_at_tnt.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 19:29:17 -0000

>does RW science apply to Glorantha or not? Always or only
>in some occasions? How can I know when it applies ...

Most things that happen in the RW because of science also happen in Glorantha, but because of myth.

For instance, I believe that particles of vision are emitted from the eye, and being light-based, they tend to return to their primal source (the sky). Thus, the horizon appears closer than infinity, and ships disappear when they go out to sea as if they were going over a curve. Farsee makes these particles of vision go further, so you can see further. This theory has been argued over in Notes from Notchet, I chose this side because I find it amusing, and my intellectual characters tend to promote it.

Water runs downstream because they are trying to heal the wound in the centre of the world. They used to flow uphill, taking life-giving water to the land. Some waves can still be seen trying to go uphill, but they get stuck on the downstream side of stones.

So, we take real-world phenomena with scientific explanations, and duplicate them with mythic or magical explanations in Glorantha. For the benefit of any townies who have never seen a real rocky river, shallow rivers with rocks in them look as if they have upstream waves hiding downstream of the rocks due to water flowing around the rock and coming back in on the void behind, rather like the water rushing in behind a moving ship.

>According to the Player's Book: Genertela, the western lands are
>'dotted with dark woods and mysteries'. What would live in them?

Of course there are non-humans living there, but they stay mysterious and hidden in their woods, because the xenophobic Malkioni would exterminate them if they showed their faces. Or is Arlaten atypical of westerners? It seems right to me, so it must be True.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/phibbs +--------------+

| What immortal hand or eye dare frame thy perfect symmetry? |