Re: Uleria again

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 10:25:54 +0000

Jane Williams

>I was thinking more of prostitues to service female customers (who
could
>of course also be of either gender). In the RW these are a minority, at

>least in part because of the double standard: it's OK and encouraged
for
>men to have many partners, but discouraged for women. In Orlanthi
society
>at least, this would not be the case. The other reason for women to
avoid
>casual sex of course is because the consequences can take nine months
too
>long. Given reliable contraception (if we allow this for Uleria), this
>problem also vanishes. At that point I'd expect customers to be equally

>divided between the genders.

I think portraying Orlanthi society as an ideal feminist utopia is going a bit far, but not so far that I'm realy prepared to argue the point. I'm sure some clans are more liberal in this respect than others. I'd tend towards a more masculine Orlanthi ethos in the 'home clan', principaly to increase the culture shock potential when players travell to Esrolia.

What I do know is that in Glorantha there are easily avaiblable and reliable contraceptive drugs, herbs whatever and that there are no sexualy transmitted diseases. You couldn't guess that this guy grew up during the sixties, could you?

I love the idea of Uleria being a confessor cult - excelent!

"There, there now, don't wory about massacring those lunar settlers, Uleria still loves you."

Simon