Malkioni Einsatzgruppen

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 23:53:35 +1300 (NZDT)

Philip Hibbs:

Me>>According to the Player's Book: Genertela, the western lands are
>>'dotted with dark woods and mysteries'. What would live in them?

>Of course there are non-humans living there, but they stay mysterious
>and hidden in their woods, because the xenophobic Malkioni would
>exterminate them if they showed their faces. Or is Arlaten atypical of
>westerners? It seems right to me, so it must be True.

Arlaten was referring to trolls who are heavily associated with the Dark Empire and baby-eating. Do you think that he would consider Aldryami (who lived in Brithos and who had abandoned the Isle of Gilboch for the sake of Lady Gwelennor and allowed it to be settled by humans) to be Krjalki? Do you think that he would xenophobically exterminate the Mostali who have traded at Belskan for yonks on end? The biggest colony of beastmen, according to Elder Secrets, is in the woods right next to Tanisor and Castle Coast. Somehow the Kings of Seshnela down through the ages have preferred to try their hand at conquering the hapless Safelstrans than exterminating the supposedly hideous monsters in the woods.

There's even a well known ruin of Arkhome which lies less than 100 km from the Capital of Seshnela. Despite lying within the uzphobic lands of the Duke of Rindland, it is visited with impunity by Uz who simply waltz downriver from Guhan. Thus I'm pretty sure that there are dark, ugly, pugnacious, little trolls lurking in Rindland.

I do feel that there are a lot of fay woods around in Seshnela that were shrines in the days of the Serpent Kings that are populated by dryads and elves. They would be slightly different from the elves of Dragon Pass and have a lot of serpent imagery associated with them.