Godunya

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 00:06:05 EST

Peter Metcalfe
>Thus a Mandarin who visits the Capital should expect to see
>Godunya even if he is kowtowing with others at the time. This
>is the type of public appearance that Godunya would make. But
>because Godunya's public appearances are described as "rare"
>(compared to what?), gives me the impression that this is not
>happening and that something is Wrong.

This is a rather large assumption, you must admit. I once was in a group which went to a "private audience" with the Pope -- there were a few thousand people there. The word "public" can mean different things, and I think it is more likely that GoG meant that the common person rarely sees Godunya, not that he is only seen by the Mandarins and Exarchs once a decade or so.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com