Vows and Illumination

From: Nikk Effingham <eng7nje_at_arts-01.novell.leeds.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 11:13:16 GMT

Yes, yet more rules orientated thought. So those who feel allergic to rules should just hit the page down button now : )

I was thinking about the nature of Vows and Ilumination. D:LoD speaks of extra power for Illumination - does anyone believe that Illumination can allow a sorceror under Sandy's rule system to ignore their Vows like Geases are ignored. This is not to say that the power that allows you to ignore geases allows you to ignore your Vows, merely that there is an additional, and perhaps rare, power that allows Vows to be ignored.

I think it might work on the following rational, that when a sorceror achieves that level of illumination they become capable of understanding that personal regimentation and the discipline that is required of a sorceror is within you always, and that as long as you recognize that you have this discipline you may act as you will. Secondly, that Vows are merely artificial reflections of a Wizard trying to show this discipline of his soul. In other words, discipline and power comes from something other than adhering to a set of artificial rules.

I don't believe this would make an Illuminated Sorceror more powerful than an Illuminated Humakti wandering around ignoring his geases. Nor do I believe all Illuminates would possess this power. In fact, I think very few would.

Comments?

Nikk E.

Nikk Effingham
eng7nje_at_leeds.ac.uk