Nature Red in Tooth and Claw

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 12:22:04 +1300 (NZDT)

Daren Clark:

>The discussion of lions and Basmoli in Prax and the Wastes recently has
>reminded me of a question I had. Do the Basmoli exhibit the same habit as is
>seen in RW lions whereby a male taking over a pride will often kill all of
>the young in that pride.

I doubt it. Virtually every mammal that has been closely studied has a rate of co-specific killings (ie killing the young among other things) that if extrapolated to human society would result in a murder rate at least a thousand times higher than the worst american cities. (The analogy comes from Dennet's 'Darwin's Dangerous Idea' and he mentions that Gould said the same thing so it Must Be True).