Fortifications in RQ

From: styopa_at_iname.com
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 22:15:42 -0600

Hello all.

I was wondering if anyone else felt there was an interesting incongruity in RQ as stands, namely, the state (or lack) of fortifications.

Certainly there's Kartolin (more a defended pass), and most major cities are walled, but where are the castles? Carmania has some, I suppose, and Loskalm must, but in RW history fortifications - as distinct from fortified civic centers - evolved almost universally. They're *everywhere* once the culture reaches a certain point, from Assyria, to furthest Scotland, to China, to meso America. Except in Glorantha. Of course I'm not saying G had to always be a parallel to the RW, but this seems such a dominant theme, and is conspicuous in absence.

Where's the epic seiges (Whitewall notwithstanding; I suppose this one is merely waiting for the epic to be written....)? The daring assaults? It seems most documented fortifications are glorified burrows.

At first I would ascribe this to magic - I mean with flying creatures common, and wall-shattering magic available, what's the point in investing your hard-extorted gold in building a pile of rock? But then, why the extensive fortifications around Pavis, Boldhome, Whitewall, et al? And if these magics are available, there must be counters, or why would the seige of Whitewall - performed by perhaps the most magically adept and well-organized force in the world - be such a stall?

I was just wondering if anyone else had thought about these issues. I have a number of other comments, rationalizations, and the resulting effect on my Glorantha, but I'd like to see some comments from others first...

Thanks!