Re: Illuminates, God Learners; multiple Heroes

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 11:35:56 -0500

Simon writes:

> The God Learners were certainly aware of illumination, but I don't
> think they pursued or disseminated it widely. I think the answer is
> simply that the two mysteries of illumination and God Learning are
> basically unrelated.

And, indeed, incompatible (in my own view). An Illuminate can't see the world with the RuneQuest Sight any more: it isn't as simple as that, once you get beyond surface appearances. (Which, O Best Beloved, explains why Illumination doesn't fit neatly into the RuneQuest rules).

David Scott writes:

> I would like to think that [the ability to split into several parts]
> is one of the secrets a hero can learn through a difficult and dan-
> gerous quest.

We have an example of this in the "Troll Gods" excerpts from the "Jonstown  Compendium", when Argrath is about to be made into a troll:

: And then there were four or five Arkats who all seized upon the
: limbs of Kwaratch Kang, faster than I could tell. They weren't
: there, then they were, with the rune lord held helpless...

And we all know by now that Arkat wounded himself on the Hero Plane (which is where he got his otherwise-unhealable injury from): two of his heroquests overlapped, and (all unknowing) he shot himself in the foot. Silly bugger.

(Ye Gods, Compu$erve is chopping up my posts something horrible these days. I'll do what I can, including complaining loudly, but it looks like things have taken a turn for the worse...)

::::
Nick
::::