Announcing: The Glorantha-Weekly

From: Shannon Appel <appel_at_chaosium.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 16:09:28 -0800

In the next few weeks a new Glorantha mailing list will appear, the Glorantha Weekly, edited by Doyle Wayne Ramos-Tavener.

WHAT'S THAT? The Glorantha Weekly will be a compilation of the most immediately gameable items that appear on the existing Glorantha Digest, including fiction, folk tales, etc. This is not necessarily the *best* stuff, because the Glorantha Digest includes lots of great discussion which illuminates Glorantha, but it will be the most accessible articles.

HOW'S STUFF GO INTO IT? If Doyle thinks an article is a complete piece he'll send you a line, and ask you permission to reprint it in the Glorantha Weekly. Then it'll appear in the next few weeks.

HOW OFTEN WILL THE WEEKLY APPEAR? The Glorantha Weekly will appear Bi-Weekly. Several issues may go out at the same time if the accumulated material is more than 25k in length.

WHO GETS IT? A copy of each Glorantha Weekly will automatically be sent to every participant on the Glorantha Digest. In addition, you'll be able to sign up for the list seperately if you just want to receive the Weekly. More details on signup procedures next week. As long as I can get things worked out, the Glorantha Weekly will also be mirrored to one of the rec.games.frp newsgroups, either rec.games.frp.archives or rec.games.frp.misc, most likely.

ANYTHING ELSE? If anyone has comments or suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them. Better name? Alternate distribution methods? Unhappiness with any of this setup? Drop me a line.

FINALLY... Here's a note from Doyle, the G-W editor.

From: Doyle Wayne Ramos-Tavener <tavener_at_swbell.net>

Hi, my name is Doyle Wayne Ramos-Tavener, and I will be culling The Gloranthan Digest for material for The Gloranthan Weekly, as Shannon has no doubt already mentioned.

Before I post any material, I will ask for your permission, by way of a form e-mail. So if you see one appear in your e-mail basket, be sure to respond.

If you wish, you may want to add the line to your post, "I do not wish to have this post duplicated on the Gloranthan Weekly.", to avoid a pesky message from myself.

By way of example, here are some posts that would have appeared in the Weekly from recent Digests.

Sandy Peterson's RQ stats for Gunda the Guilty (Digest Vol. 5, #390).

Stephen Martin's list of Favored Spirit Cults of the Sacred Places of Prax (Digest Vol. 5, #386).

My sole 'editorial' contributions to these works would have included mentioning a website where Sandy's sorcery rules are posted, and a plug for Drastic: Prax.

Conversely, Richard Develyn's River of Cradles campaign ideas (Digest Vol. 5, #387) would not have been posted, because they are exploratory/incomplete.

This doesn't mean they couldn't be posted in the future, once Mr. Develyn finishes prepatory work on his campaign.

I look forward to seeing your work.

DWRT