Kralorelan musings

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 08:19:01 +0100

The recent discussion has brought back a couple of things I found problematic.
  1. Exarchs, the title sounds very un-Kralorelan. It can of course be the translation of an original, like mandarin for hsin tu. The suggestion that third age Kralorela was moulded by the FDR, with major changes from previous ages may not be to my liking, but it did give me an idea.

I think the title of exarch was instituted by the FDR. Before, there were just mandarins. Some of them were more exalted, fulfilling the same functions as the exarchs. In practice these were a step up in the hierarchy, although this hierarchy was informal. Since that's the way "it was always done" the mandarins themsleves just knew how it worked.

The FDR, originally God Learners, came from a western society with a strictly logical formal structure. Not steeped in millennia (or centuries, depending on taste) of the local tradition like the Kralorelans, they found the mandarin system confusing and promptly created a new title.

2. Moon worship was mentioned in conjunction with the exiled lunars and the captive red emperor. That brings back an old issue. I know I have asked about this before. The Kralorelan calendar is divided into six _months_. I asssociate months with moons. The calendar was created in past ages, but what pre-Dawn moon had a seven week period?

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind nilsw_at_ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689