Replies to Peter

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 17:53:58 +0800

Replies to Peter about various things
>Since when did I (or anybody) say Freudian psychology accurately
>represents how the average gloranthan thinks?

        You said it 'existed' when useful. Which is somewhat ambiguous as to how general its application was intended to be when it does exist. But more importantly Peter, it is in no way necessary to defend yourself - I was sniping at Freud, not you, and seized on your comments only as a point of entry to discussion. I just feel its necessary to deride Freud whenever mentioned in case someone starts trying to tell us that their Oedipal theories of Yelmic religion must be true, because Freud is science he is. As a sane, rational, and well-informed person, of course you understand that Freud is bollocks :-)

>>Nevertheless, the 'trolls=id, dwarves=ego,
>>elves=superego' remains as good a description of their racial psychology as
>>you are likely to get in a single sentence.
>
>And that is the _only_ reason I use it.

	But we can usually manage more than a sentence on any topic here!
	Let us move past this simplistic explanation into far cooler ones,
like Nicks seasonal brown elves, which I think is superb!

Other things Peter said
>>Why then should Divine Magic practitioners have any Spirit Magics at all?
>
>The spirit magic of a divine magician is really a portion of the god
>that moves in the magician. Shamanic magic is similar save that the
>whole of the spell spirit moves in the shaman.

        According to the RQ Rules, its more like Gods have hordes of Spell spirits that attend them and flow from them, that can be summoned by the Spell Teaching magic. Of course, many religions will consider these spell spirits to be small parts of the god that flow to his worshippers. Others might not.

>>On the other hand Daka Fal is clearly concerned with Spirits and yet is
>>considered Divine?
>
>He's not divine.

        Trying to work out who is divine and who is not is a pointless task, and ultimately culturally dependent. For some cultures, a being can be divine and still have been human once, for others not, and the rules answer (a being is divine if they grant divine magic) doesn't help much.

        Cheers

                David