Re: Glorantha Weekly

From: Maria or Michael <michael.raaterova.7033_at_student.uu.se>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 11:47:10 +0100

OK. Here's some comments about the upcoming Weekly.

It's a great idea.

The discursive atmosphere on the Digest tends IMO to promote fragmentary postings: debates and discussions with lots of inspired and inspiring stuff strewn about in a haphazard fashion; interesting but fragmentary stuff. Not that i dislike that at all; it's great fun. But it can have the consequence that the rate of fullblown articles is a bit low due to the discursiveness of the Digest.

Having a Weekly with nothing but standalone, gameable pieces could hopefully raise the amount and posting rate of complete articles, since the very existence of such a forum could be inspiring. So, in my mind it's *good* to have a corpus of texts and articles in one place and the discourse on that corpus in another place.

I find it fun to write standalone pieces, but i don't find it *that* inspiring to see them drown in the general clutter and noise on the Digest. The Weekly would thus be a perfect complement to the Digest. And less intimidating for the plethora of Gloranthan newbies that will hopefully appear in the wake of the new Gloranthan RPG.

My suggestion to Shannon and Doyle is that it be possible to *also* post articles *directly* to the Weekly (through Doyle of course) as well. If i wanted to write a standalone item, i could discuss some of the points in it on the Digest beforehand, and then write and post a fullblown version to the Weekly. No doubt the article in the Weekly will then be discussed/dissected further on the digest, but that's a *good* thing, and could result in a revisited article or sequel for the Weekly, which is even better.

Since the Weeklies consist of nothing but gameable material they should also be archived somewhere immediately accessible. I have no doubts that people will keep personal Weekly archives on their web-pages but they should nevertheless be archived and indexed for easy access on the Glorantha origo on the web, the Glorantha site.

A related query: why is there no pointer to <www.glorantha.com> somewhere in the Digest? There should be.

Another related query: will complete articles from bygone years and ancient digests/dailies appear in the Weekly? Since there's a *lot* in the archives they could well be used as filler for the Weekly when new material is scarce.

Michael Raaterova

<.sig omitted on legal advice>