Jrustela and early Malkioni

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 14:00:37 +1300 (NZDT)

Joerg Baumgartner:

>The Malkioni of Seshnela had conquered and acculturated most of the
>native Seshnegi kingdoms by the end of the first century. They seem to
>have produced a sizeable surplus of population which allowed them to push
>their borders eastward to Tanisor, and around Tarinwood to Slontos, which
>they seem to have interacted with heavily by the time of the kingdom of
>Herolal (around 250 ST).

The Serpent Kings (I wouldn't describe them as Malkioni) went all the way to Hrelar Amali where they added Temples to Orlanth and Magasta (according to the Jonstown Compendium). Then the Serpent Kings died out and a reactionary movement took over (although I do believe they were considerably more henotheistic than modern Malkioni).

>The Seshnegi seem to have had good relations to
>the Waertagi, good enough to allow them translocation of huge numbers of
>settlers or warriors across the seas.

Namely because they were both related to Malkion? Pointer: The passage which claims that the Waertagi had an unshakable alliance with the Brithini is written _before_ the mention of Hrestol's relevation.

>They even staged a naval assault on Brithos,
>apparently without Waertagi opposition (Genertela Box: Glorantha Book p.18),
>though this destroyed the Seshnegi empire (and seems to have cut the control
>over, perhaps even contact with, the overseas colonies of Seshnela).

>All this happened at least 50 years before Osentalka was born.

I believe that the Collapse of the Silver Empire happened _after_ the Sunstop on the basis of Codex #2's mention that the Fronelan states are beginning the process of political integration in 385 ST. Why then and not when the Silver Empire fell?

IMO The Silver Empire recieved quickly some doctrines of Nysalor via the Dari Alliance. Impressed by these doctrines, the King begins to spread them all over the place: Brithos (mention is made of Arkat helping to drive the religion from the cities of Brithos CoT p17), Jrustela and Fronela. The Brithini take measures to suppress the new doctrines and a war starts between Seshnela and Brithos. Driven by a sense of invincibility caused by his new doctrines, the King makes a foolish Naval Assualt on Brithos and perishes in the attempt along with his Crown Prince and entire household.

Thus the Silver Empire collapses and the Seshnegi, the Fronelans and the Jrusteli are given 'proof' that Illumination is bad for you. The civil war in Brithos, Fronela and Seshnela (masked by the labels of 'political integration' and 'purging other dynasts of their inheritance') continues for a while between the traditional Malkioni and the illuminates. The Illuminates are strengthened by new secrets and the rise of the Kings of Tanisor. The traditional Malkioni eventually get Arkat.

Thus the Jrusteli are given some ideas about Illumination and what it can do. In addition, they are in continual contact with the Waertagi until the twain fell out over the formation of the Jrusteli Confederation (with thirteen colonies! Undoubtedly there was a declaration of independance, a continental congress and a constitution with the 2nd amendment being 'A well regulated wizardry, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to know Forbidden Secrets, shall not be infringed'). Since the Waertagi are raiding Palangio's domains, I think the Waertagi would have kept the Jrusteli up to date over affairs back Home.

>However, I am fairly sure that the Jrusteli did not really
>notice the Gbaji wars. They seem to have been caught up in developments
>of their own instead...

>(But then, how much impact did the Napoleonic wars have on the development
>of the USA?)

Look up the War of 1812. At the very least, the Americans got a White House out of it.