Alakoring, SDT, Slontos

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 14:43:48 EST

>The great hero Alakoring Dragonbreaker defeated Drang
>the Storm Dragon and proved that Orlanth was not a dragon. He seized
>lands in Dragon Pass as his own and many believed that he sought to
>restore the Kingdom of the Heortlings. Had it not been for a cowardly
>Aldryami arrow, he assuredly could have.

Was rereading through Griffin Mountain last night, and came across the fact that the elves of the Elder Wilds in particular supported the EWF. I never understood Alakoring's conflict with Tobosta Greenbow before: it seems likely to me that Tobosta Greenbow was an EWF supporter who escaped the doom of the EWF, and killed Alakoring in revenge, or perhaps to prevent him from marching north into Balazar and the Elder Wilds to kill the elves, as Arkat's army had done centuries ago after the fall of the Broken Council.

Joerg says, out of context:
>Thus, it is possible (though not very probable) that some of Palangio's
>troops were stationed among the Leftarmer allies and helped keep back
the
>Praxians. These _might_ even have been precursors of the Sun Dome
>Templars.

Well, actually they would not have been "precursors" -- I have been convinced that there were Sun Dome Temples even in the First Age, though they were very dissimilar in many ways from the modern ones. And their deity would not have been named Yelmalio. Look for more information to appear in Enclosure II this summer.

Joerg on Arkat
>I guess he earned his Illumination when he had killed Nysalor and Gbaji.

>If it _was_ Arkat who emerged... Arkat the Deceiver, anyone?

While, the existing "canon" says that he was illuminated as a child on Brithos by the elves which lived there. Though this does seem a bit difficult to me, seeing as how Nysalor hadn't been created yet. Perhaps this is evidence that Arkat's mode of illumination was different from Nysalor's?

Peter Metcalfe:
>Looking at Uz Lore, I note
>that the map of Second Age Slontos shows that some parts of it are
>already flooded compared to the map of First Age Slontos (and it's not
>a mistake for the 3rd age map shows more complete flooding). I wonder
>what happened? Did Arkat burst the dykes?

Good catch. Another possibility is that the native Slontans themselves burst some of the dykes, to try to keep Palangio from conquering the land. It didn't work, if they did it, but I can see them being desperate enough to. And of course, the sea took the opportunity it was given and claimed a lot more land than the Slontans probably would have liked.

Dave Dunham, most recently
>> >Another name is strange : Barbarian Town.
>> >Why would the Orlanthi or the Pol-Joni found a city with such a name?
>
>> I think it's the Orlanthi referring to the Poljoni as barbarians.

>Given that the Pol Joni are Orlanthi (they're one of the tribes of
Sartar,
>after all), it might be the Praxians referring to the Pol Joni as
>barbarians (and "town" would also be an insult, perhaps a translation of
>tents-they-cannot-move).

Also, given the early confusion in RuneQuest between the words "barbarian" and "nomad" (i.e., the Praxians were called mounted barbarians, the article in Cults of Prax on their deities is labeled "Barbarian Gods", etc.), perhaps this is an error, and it really should have been called "Nomad Town", for the fact that many nomads had settled there.

>Or it could be a bunch of Oasis Folk.

I don't think so, though it could be, since it is on the regular ley lines of Prax.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com