Minor topics

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 20:11:42 +1300 (NZDT)

David Cake:

>The intent is that modern western HGing takes on a rather Arthurian
>model, full of mysterious women at forks in the road, strange beasts,
>mysterious castles ruled by knight referred to only by their appearance
>(the Red Knight), etc.

I think the Arthurian model is really true only for Loskalm. Seshnela would have a far more Dantean view of the Otherside with Hell being a place where the sinners are punished. Mount Purgatory is of course the Spike (there is bound to be a serious moral lesson as to why the Spike can not be reached in the Material World) whereas the Sun, Stars and Planets are the lower reaches of Paradise.

Of course they have access to the descriptions of the planets via the Outer Atomic explorers. These are probably something like Lucian's _True_History_ (a fairy tale of a ship of 50 men who is blown to the moon - some elements of it appear in Baron Munchausen) or Kepler's _Somnium_.

IMO most Heroquesting in Seshnela takes the form of a pilgrim undergoing a spiritual journy so that he can become a better Rokari. The error of the God Learners (from the Seshnegi PoV) is that they forgot in time, the true purpose of the otherside and so fell out of contact with their creator with resulting calamities.

James Frusetta:

>Sorcery's deliberate creation of undead, doesn't
>seem chaotic to me -- more like computer programming.

Which just goes to show how evil computer programming really is...