Weather in Eastern Prax

From: Jose Ramos <jose_at_kobo.es>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 15:47:35 +0100

        Joerg proposes that western Prax resembles the Spanish interior. Well, although I agree with it in principle (dry winter and summer with strong seasonal rains in autumn, very hot in summer and very cold in winter), I have to disagree with the plants. In Spain the interior was wooded, mainly different oaks and cork oak with little underbrush. No olives (too cold). Centuries of shipbuilding and goat and sheep grazing have left a steppe fit only for wheat and other grains.

        So I propose the Knight Fort colonists are mostly herders (pig, goat and sheep) with small plots by the streamside to grow vegetables. Most of the original trees, who survived the Great Darkness burning of Prax have been cut by the nomads (valuable in the plains) or by the settlers to build cabins and palisades.

        So some cork oaks survive, harvested every eightth year (and even the nomads know the value of this trees, to avoid cutting them), and the acorns are useful as food for the pigs. Sheep and goats roam abroad.

        If not for the lack of snow in winter (even if temperatures are below freezing for weeks) and the clear days, similar to many orlanthi anywhere.

        The wind, the strong eastern wind will be a strong presence in myth.

        Just IMHO,

Jose