Salt

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 08:48:20 +1300 (NZDT)

Pasanen Panu:

> Are seas of Glorantha salty? As all rivers originate from the same
> mystical body of water, I believe they aren't.

The description of the Gnydron which 'cannot endure fresh water' in the Gloranthan Beastiary and the mention of the Sweet Sea as freshwater seems to indicate that the major seas of glorantha are salty.

As for rivers getting originating from the same 'source', I prefer to believe that normal geological activities are taking place. FWIW our seas don't get their salt from the rivers as the rivers contain a completely different type of salt (calcium carbonate IIRC as opposed to sodium chloride).

> And we know that
> salt is poisonous in Glorantha, for they poison elven weeds in
> Pamaltela with it. What do you think?

Many RW plants cannot tolerate a high concentration of salt in the soil. Why do you think the Romans are reputed to have plowed the fields of Carthage with salt?