Re: Seas of Glorantha

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 12:56:42 EST

Panu:

<< Are seas of Glorantha salty?>>

     Yes. This is confirmed in a number of places in print. Greg's article 'The Oceans of Glorantha' in TotRM #10 seems a good place to start.

<< As all rivers originate from the same mystical body of water, I believe
they aren't.>>

     The rivers and lakes, are, as in our world, fresh. The sea is salty, so far as I can tell, for the same reason as in our world. Water evaporates from the sea and that's what makes the rivers, which are fresh for the same reason as in our world.

     The practical difference between the Gloranthan water cycle and our own is the presence of Magasta's Pool, through which the oceans drain like a giant plughole. As I understand it, this water re-enters the world via Sramak's Ocean rather than via the rivers, so there's no reason why the rivers can't be fresh while the seas are salty.

<<And we know that salt is poisonous in Glorantha, for they poison elven weeds in
 Pamaltela with it.>>

     Salt, along with every other substance in existence, is also poisonous in our world. To quote Paracelsus: "All substances are poisonous. All substances are not poisonous. All that matters is the dose."

     I believe it takes quite a lot of salt to kill off plants, but I understand that it does work.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky