Fall of the Silver Empire

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 18:24:22 +1300 (NZDT)

Joerg Baumgartner:

[In debating when the Silver Empire fell apart, we are arguing, in our lovable way, the meaning of political integration. I pwomise I'll keep this short, folks]

>>What is the difference between making war and making war for 'purposes
>>of political integration'?

>IMO the wars first started a process of political disintegration. Ethnic
>groups and local leaders striving to regain their lost sovereignty, and then
>to suppress their neighbours who did the same. Think of Bosnia.

I submit that Bosnia was a war of politicial integration. For example, the Bosnian Serbs and Croats were ultimately striving to integrate their lands with Greater Serbia or Croatia.

To say that a war fought amongst divided statelets with the aim of regaining lost sovereignty and suppressing (conquering, ethnic cleansing) neighbours is not 'political integration' raises the question of why are statelets fighting then? If they make alliances to suppress a mutually detested neighbour then it would be an example of 'political integration' IMO. Likewise if they defeat a neighbour, clear his land of inhabitants and then send in surplus population to colonize it, then it is also 'political integration'.

>Note that the Broken Council freeform starts in the year 355. The Silver
>Empire might have existed this long, and faltered soon afterwards. Fact is
>that by the time Arkat and his allies enter Seshnela, it is a shambles of
>city states with established enmities.

And that the year of 385 ST, _after_ the Sunstop, _before_ Arkat lands and just before the 'policical integration' begins is not a suitable time for the Fall of the Silver Empire?