Magic and Agriculture in Glorantha

From: Thomas Gottschall <Bloodtooth_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 11:09:34 +0100

Hi everyone,

Joerg Baumgartner in Digest #421 :

> IMO most of Pent and the northern Wastes has rich loess soil - both
> from "recent" input from Valind's glacier during the late Storm Age > and continuing through history after the chaotic interglacial of the
> Greater Darkness, and from Genert's influence.

Though this may be right (I don't know and then I don't care) I thought that agriculture in Glorantha among the non-sorcery-using populace is highly dependent on Grain/Earth Goddesses. And since there is no real Grain Goddess for Prax the land cannot support the type of agriculture other can. Yes there is Eiritha but she is primary the Cow Mother, isn't she ? As far as I know this is because Genert is dead and so is partly the land or the power of the land.

Magic as I see it in RQ3 is devided in three groups. Sorcery looks like it is knowledge and skill oriented, which I like and can understand. However I have my problems with divine and spirit magic. I cannot understand the how the spirit magic works and why it is based on POW and what MP are. The same does apply for divine magic. Having written quite a lot of Telmori stories I came to the point that RQ3 magic (not including sorcery) isn't Gloranthan. It feels so wrong (at least to me) when someone who has cast his Bladesharp and failed goes for it in the next round again. I think Divine Magic aswell as Spirit Magic are not thought to be skills by the people who use it. I think that they are more like blessing granted when the need arises or sometimes denied. Who grants them, you ask ? Either Gods (divine) or friendly spirits. And if the a spell is failed it can't be cast again because the entity who has it doesn't want to. You should be friendy to your spirit allies and pious to your god else your magic will become very weak. I don't know how a mechanic should look like and then this is more a theme for the Ruled Digest. Anyone thinks like me (Michael Raaterova, perhaps) ?

I have to announce that a new issue of Telmori's Forest is out. Four new stories are available under http://home.pages.de/Telmori's.Forest/

Email : Bloodtooth_at_gmx.net
Enchanted Forest : http://home.pages.de/~Enchanted.Forest/

And the Devil returned once more. This time his name was... ...Argrath !