Baths of Nelat.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 07:39:14 GMT

Andrew Joelson:
> [Orlanth] emerged with the necessary knowledge/data/inspiration to
> perform the LBQ.

Stephen Martin:
> Also, Orlanth's going to the Baths of Nelat has never, as far as I know,
> been directly related to the Lightbringers' Quest, not even by Harmast.

Let me confess first of all: the Orlanth/Bath/Nelat-Quest -- I'm not sure what its usual title is, and nor can I recall if I've actually seen this myth in print -- I'm presuming it is indeed the myth where Mastakos is freed (or abducted) from Daliath's Well).

The connection is that the "Nelat Quest" indeed involves said Baths, and having survived them before is explicitly linked to having any chance of surviving the Flames of Ehilm in the Hall of the Dead section of the quest. Both versions of the LBQ in KoS allude to this. Presumably not to have done so would necessitate doing only a "less deep" version of the quest, or finding a yet more cunning way of surviving the test.

So while certainly they aren't _in_ the same quest, one is just about a precondition of the other. This is quite a common pattern from what I understand, or at least it's certainly "general practice" to do certain quests as perparation for particular others, which don't necessarily have an a priori obvious link.

Slainte,
Alex.