undead undead

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 14:50:03 +0800

Jim from EBWE Engineering says
>I will now work on the
>assumption that there are two types of Undead.
>
>1. Created Undead
>2. Voluntary Undead

>The voluntary type are the ghosts, wraiths and such that remain after the
>body dies. It may be a predetermined decision or not.

        I repeat again - ghosts are not necessarily considered 'undead' by Gloranthans. They are dead spirits hanging around, not undead. For some people, this is extremely important - notably Humakti, who may become ghosts, despite an extremely strong cult hatred of undead.

        I also don't think the Created vs Voluntary is a particularly useful distinction, myself. Most of the 'voluntary' can also be created by magic (ie Ghost Binding enchantments), and some of the created may also indeed be quite enthusiastic participants (I can certainly see some people looking forward to mummification, for example).

        Cheers

                David