Golden Horde and the murky North East

From: Simon W Jones <wazzock_at_email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 22:59:29 -0000

Evening all,

I'd just like to ask a few questions of you good people. On re-reading Uz Lore- I noticed that in describing the invasion of = Dragon's Pass by the Invicible Golden Horde it mentions them commiting = unspeakable crimes of rape and genocide.=20 Whilst I suspect an incomplete understanding of Gloranthan history- this = struck me as odd. I've found a couple of references- but they just = suggest that the Horde was Sun worshippers (except for the Sons of = Javinu out of Talaster). Is this anti-Solar bias from the hand of = Minaryth Purple or not?

As for the North East, it struck me that there was stunningly little = written about Bliss of Ignorance and Koromandol.=20 As Koromandol boasts by far the highest number of Trolls in Glorantha- = it occurred to me to be a good place for playing- having done Trolls in = DP to death (trolls are a perennial favourite). With intriguing comments = in the literature to the trolls of Koromandol as a place where they are = dying out (possibilities of "Eastern fatalism" with trollish mania) or = building their strength for something BIG (strengthened by population = size in TP- and they can't all be trollkin) - both of which are = definately MGF.

Well with the "DragonPassandPraxcentricity" (sorry) of a lot of early = material (and recent), and with the more recent focus on the West- = perhaps a rowsing debate on the East would be worthwhile. Personally =

until recently, the East in Glorantha struck me as a nice place to visit =
(wouldn't want to live there), and also not terribly Gloranthan, far too =
RW. I feel a lot of the real joy in discussing esoterica on the GD comes =
from interpreting Gloranthan mythical history, and as far as I can find = there's very little on the East- especially as it fills out the play = quite well.

And so, I would like to open debate on the East (esp. Bliss of = Ignorance/ Koromandol) if anyones interested by starting with fleshing = out the mythical history.

The Black Sun seems to be one of the most intriguing cults, with it's = varying worship and re-interpretation, but as so much discussion has = occured around Greg's GRoY
its place in the prophecy of the Suns to Come also intrigues- does = anyone know more about this?
The cults mentioned in G:GCotHW- including Earth Eater, Secret Waters, = Shadow Cancer, Star Permutator and Sun Storm, all apparently = misunderstood Kralorelan or slaor virtues- any ideas or comments?

Simon Jones

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Evening all,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I'd just like to ask a few questions of you good=20
people.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>On re-reading Uz Lore- I noticed that in describing =
the=20
invasion of Dragon's Pass by the Invicible Golden Horde it mentions them =

commiting unspeakable crimes of rape and genocide. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Whilst I suspect an incomplete understanding of =
Gloranthan=20
history- this struck me as odd. I've found a couple of references- but = they just=20
suggest that the Horde was Sun worshippers (except for the Sons of = Javinu out of=20
Talaster). Is this anti-Solar bias from the hand of Minaryth Purple or=20 not?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>As for the North East, it struck me that there was =
stunningly=20
little written about Bliss of Ignorance and Koromandol. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>As Koromandol boasts by far the highest number of =
Trolls in=20
Glorantha- it occurred to me to be a good place for playing- having done = Trolls=20
in DP to death (trolls are a perennial favourite). With intriguing = comments in=20
the literature to the trolls of Koromandol as a place where they are = dying out=20
(possibilities of &quot;Eastern fatalism&quot; with trollish mania) or = building=20
their strength for something BIG (strengthened by population size in TP- = and=20
they can't all be trollkin) - both of which are definately = MGF.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Well with the =

&quot;DragonPassandPraxcentricity&quot; (sorry)=20 of a lot of early material (and recent), and with the more recent focus = on the=20
West- perhaps a rowsing debate on the East would be worthwhile. =
</FONT><FONT=20

size=3D2>Personally until recently, the East in Glorantha struck me as a = nice=20
place to visit (wouldn't want to live there), and also not terribly = Gloranthan,=20
far too RW. </FONT><FONT size=3D2>I feel a lot of the real joy in = discussing=20
esoterica on the GD comes from interpreting Gloranthan mythical history, = and as=20
far as I can find there's very little on the East- especially as it = fills out=20
the play quite well.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>And so, I would like to open debate on the East =
(esp. Bliss of=20
Ignorance/ Koromandol) if anyones interested by starting with fleshing = out the=20
mythical history.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The Black Sun seems to be one of the most intriguing =
cults,=20
with it's varying worship and re-interpretation, but as so much = discussion has=20
occured around Greg's GRoY</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>its place in =
the prophecy of=20
the Suns to Come also intrigues- does anyone know more about = this?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT><FONT size=3D2>The cults =
mentioned in=20
G:GCotHW- including Earth Eater, Secret Waters, Shadow Cancer, Star = Permutator=20
and Sun Storm, all apparently misunderstood Kralorelan or slaor virtues- = any=20
ideas or comments?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Simon Jones</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #434