Arkat and Lightbringing

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 16:26:18 +1300 (NZDT)

Jeff Richard aka The Man with No Surname:

>Finally, it should be mentioned that I think Arkat could not help but be
>impacted by his association with the Great Lightbringer himself, Harmast
>Barefoot.

Which is _after_ he has cleansed Ralios of the Deceiver. As a result of his rescue by Harmast, he becomes a Humakti (which seems to be worshipped by the Slontans albeit under another name IMO cf Urnbudud in the GRoY) and fights in Slontos. So while he's more sympathetic to lightbringing here (even though he's a Humakti), he's not operating in Ralios and does not even return to oppose the Dara Happan Army that issues forth from Kartolin after he leaves.

Arkat's cut his links with Gerlant and so I presume the Western Army (mentioned in Troll Gods and implied in Cults of Terror) is composed of the Ralian 'Sons of Arkat' rather than being Seshnegi and Brithini. It seems from Cults of Terror that since the western army was 'already depeleted and demoralized' when Arkat became a troll, Arkat was not receiving reinforcements from Ralios. IMO the Western Army was a select army of Arkati Knights that volunteered to follow Arkat on his new offensive to the ends of the earth but slowly lost their nerve (like Alexander's Macedonian troops).