More Hilltown Fragments

From: Smith Harald C <smith.hc_at_mellon.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 10:08:00 -0500

The following are a few fragments from the Imther pack with relevance to Hilltown (copyright Harald Smith 1995/96) following Simon's request. I have added some recent comments in brackets to reflect some changes/amendments since these pieces were written.

[Imther is a clan or marl-based society. Most clans live in the hills below the mountains along the western and southern borders. There are four of particular relevance to Hilltown.]

The Marls of Imther
The marl or clan is the main association linking people within the kingdom of Imther. Unlike membership in a khelish, an association common to the Imtherian cities, membership in a marl begins at birth and becomes complete through a rite of passage at age ten. Members may later abandon the marl or marry into another marl, but they always have that initial association. There are currently 21 marls in Imther and most have held their current positions and relative strength for at least two centuries. The recent disruption of the civil war, however, has altered the strength of many clans.

[The "civil war" was a clan war occurring roughly between 1609 and 1612 for control of the crown. As a result of the civil war, several clans/marls sought protection from the King of Vanch or the Queen of Holay.]

Grigor
The Royal marl holds the southwestern entry into the Imtherian mountains at their stronghold of Blackwall. Ever since the rule of Margor I this marl sought to found a lasting dynasty. With the triumph of Margor IV their dynasty seemed assured. With the failure of Margor IV to produce an heir, however, the dynasty now appears fragile. It is expected that King Margor will select one of his lesser nobles [i.e. village chiefs] as successor, but he has yet to do so. The marl is noted for its fine perry (an alcoholic beverage made from pears).

Gobindon
The founders of Hilltown [I noted incorrectly that Ronon had founded Hilltown--it was Gobindal], this marl has long been friendly with the dwarfs of Underhill. The marl always seem eager to try new ways, such as supporting their leader Aidea when she married Imthus, giving aid to Jannisor against the wild men of Tork, greeting the Conquering Daughter upon her arrival, and now embracing the multifaceted ways of the Lunar Empire. A short-lived dynasty ended when King Rhynon took the throne, yet the marl's animosity vanished when Rhynon rededicated the kingdom to the Lunar Way and established the Pilexial rites. Many members of this marl aided the construction of the Temple of the Reaching Moon.

Borkan
Holding much of the land along the Aryael River [this river runs from beside Hilltown down towards the Oslir--it's spirit is called Aryela the Water Dog who's visage is variously an otter-, a raccoon-, or a beaver-headed man], this marl is now mostly ruled by the Kingdom of Vanch. Worship of Khelmal and Nealda has seen an increase as Imthus and Aidea are suppressed by their new overlords. Hwarin Dalthippa has been prominent within this marl for two centuries. Consequently, the Borkan marl has produced some of Imther's finest craftsmen, including the notable Tiron who helped design the Temple of the Reaching Moon.

Hesperite
Devoted followers of the Conquering Daughter, this marl constructed the beautiful town of Daughter's Rose, which can be seen from the great road nearby. The marl leaders have traditionally vied with those of the Grigor marl for rule of Imther over the last century, but since the civil war the lands of this marl now lie entirely in Vanch, having joined the cause of Wearomon and Memnon against King Margor. But the ties of Imthus and Aidea still run strong in the villages and a young figure known only as The Preserver has struck against the ruling overlords.

A Catalogue of Imtherian Places by Ludoxus of Jillaro Compiled in 7/39 (1610 S.T.) per order of General Yugla-oor (This document is written in New Pelorian)

I entered Imther with a full company of the Daughter's Rose infantry to compile the information as requested. Attached are my findings based on my tour of the key routes through the land.

Imther
This land is categorized as a Provincial Kingdom according to the Standards of Gremachus, though under the Campobellus Rule it should be classified as a Tributary Ally. It is situated at the end of the Eastern Wall, though disconnected from the main range by the Gap of Tork. Beyond lie the Jarstingian realms and other primitive tribes, much like the Brolian tribes lie beyond the Western Wall.
The population of the land is estimated at: 12,000 humans, 20,000 dwarfs, and 300 gargoyles per the Ulymadus Method. This excludes the city of Hortugarth and the clans now loyal to Vanch and Holay. Though I believe the figures for humans, I have been unable to confirm the figures for dwarfs and gargoyles.

The terrain factor is 8 out of a possible 10 according to Ikayelmon's Military Strategy Handbook. I believe this figure to be quite accurate, given the harshness of the grades into the mountains, and can understand why both Hwarin Dalthippa and Sheng Seleris, curse his name, chose to avoid conquest.
- -..

Hilltown
Lying at the end of the Second Daughter's Road, Hilltown is reasonably impressive, even to civilized Dara Happans. Of great note is its hilly location, ideal for withstanding sieges. Hilltown naturally serves as the capital of the kingdom and houses the King and Queen. The Royal Guard [a collective name for the separate guard units] is comprised of sturdy veterans who are kept well drilled at all times. The easiest approach to the citadel is actually down the Daughter's Road, though many losses would be incurred in the approach given both the citadel's defenses and its defenders. Dwarfs live nearby in a community called Underhill from which they have mustered at times to aid the Imtherians. Population: 3,000 humans; 5,000 dwarfs in Underhill.
- -..

The Imther Mountains
The mountains are ideal defensive terrain, but have been ineffectively used during the current civil war. King Margor has not consolidated his strength here and so both Pilex Memnon and Pilex Wearomon have moved unhindered save by dwarf units. One main road leads east from Hilltown all the way to Gapguard. A second road leads north from Sidherius to intersect the other at Central Mine. Other than these two roads, passage along any other trail by major military units is near impossible. It is rumored that a dwarf road runs under most of the mountains.
Population: 7,000 humans.
- -..

It is my decided opinion that an Imperial army venturing into this territory would find the going slow and difficult. The locals clearly know their land, even if they are not great strategists. The dwarfs are so well secured that not even trolls would stand a chance against them here. Given their conservative nature, they could not be lured out to battle. I do feel that the Lunar College of Magic could work effectively here--there are no magical opponents of any worth--as would the Crimson Bat. But the expenditure of such units on this land would hardly be worthwhile. In summary, I must recommend that we let the native elements reach their own conclusion to this civil war.

The Kharex of Imther

Two great stone walls in the King's Hall in Hilltown detail the Kharex (Kings and Queens) of Imther. The List of the Royal Scribe is kept updated, but it is damaged in two places. The Old Commentaries of the Court is a sacred text, supposedly defining the nature of good or bad kingship.

The List of the Royal Scribe in the Kharex's Hall in Hilltown. Note: All dates until Memnon V are listed as S.F. or Since Founding. All dates from Memnon V on are listed by wane and year of the Red Goddess.

Dynasty		Kharec		Khara		Rule
Ingrin		Imthus		Aidea I		1-50
		Memnon I	Lore I		51-74
		Memnon II	Lore II		74-89
		Ramgaard	Delaa I		89-100
		Edamus I	Soraa		100-105
		Phalajaa I	Soraa		105-121
		Phalajaa II	Delaa II		121-123
		Torgaard	Mista		123-127
		Torphaar	Astrigis I	127-131
		Phalron I	Aidea II		131
		Torphaar	--		131-132
		Philex		Arlia I		132-133
		Torphaar	--		133-137
Valusi		Daxus I		Iabe I		137-177
		Rinian I		Cadma I		177-205
		Edamus II	Miabe I		205-239
		Cadmus I	Miabe II		239-241
		Rinian II		Cadma II	241-280
		Edamus III	Miabe III		280-285
		Edamus IV	Lore III		285-296
		Cadmus II	Mocleia I	296-315
		Alpin I		Norea I		315-329
		Alpin II		Astrigis II	329-344
		Rinian III		Norea II	344-375
		Daxus II		Arlia II		375-410
		Starbeck	--		410-423
Rhynite		Memnon III	Norea III	423-440
[start of broken list]
		Hervor III	Midara I		[??-??]
		Memnon IV	Astrigis III	[??-??]
		Karsor I		Asta I		[??-??]
[end of broken list]
		Memnon V	Arlia III		2/37-3/6
		Polaron I	Lore IV		3/6-3/19
		Ragnor II	Castuba I	3/19-3/30
Yelmon		Yelmon X*	Iabe II		3/30-3/37
		Polaron II	Aidea III		3/37-3/44
		Raptor I		Lore V		3/45-4/15
		Polaron III	Urkara I		4/15-4/22
		Yelmon XI	Midara II		4/22-4/28
		Yelmon XII	Lore VI		4/28-4/33
Mallust		Raptor II		Aidea IV		4/33-4/45
		Polaron IV	Astrigis IV	4/45-4/51
		Raptor III	Iabe III		4/51-4/52
		Polaron V	Calire I		4/52-5/5
		Karsor II		Castuba II	5/5-5/7
Gobindon	Octaron		Vancha		5/7-5/12
		Lomor		Mocleia II	5/12-5/24
		Furius I		Pyome I		5/24-5/35
		Platon		Calire II		5/35-5/39
Rhynite		Rhynon I	Marusa I	5/39-6/11
		Harmachus	Urkara II		6/11-6/20
Grigor		Margor I		Avare I		6/20-6/23
Hesperite	Firon I		Wilnia		6/23-6/32
Grigor		Furius II		Avare II		6/32-6/43
		Margor II	Pyome II		6/43-6/53
		Margor III	Marusa II	6/53-7/5
Hesperite	Firon II		Aidea V		7/5-7/15
Grigor		Pelton		Mocleia III	7/15-7/29
		Idalytus		Bari		7/29-7/34
Hesperite	Firon III		Urkara III	7/34-7/37
Grigor		Margor IV	Abastis		7/37-

The Tale of Margor and Abastis
Though Margor was named heir by Firon, he despised the Hesperites and wished to ensure the end to the struggle for the Imtherian throne. Margor sought to ensure his dynasty's place, so when he took the throne, he and his wife refused to ascend to the sacred bed in the Valley of the Kharex upon the appointed day. Instead, they entered a sacred cave of Nealda in the heart of the Grigor lands and invoked the power of their ancestors. Other families rose against them, bringing civil war to Imther. But after four years of war, Margor and Abastis had founded their own dynasty to rule.

Fragments of the Old Commentaries of the Court in the Kharex's Hall in Hilltown.
Note: this document was written around 1274 S.T. before the defeat of Jannisor.

The Ingrin Dynasty
Imthus and Aidea: They founded our kingdom, renewed our life pledges, became our gods and started the great Ingrin dynasty.
- -..

Edamus I and Soraa: Son of Memnon I, he trusted his wife to aid his ambitions. She did, but then disposed of him.

Phalajaa I and Soraa: The second son of Memnon II fell under the sway of his aunt. Together they corrupted the sacred marriage bed.

Phalajaa II and Delaa II: The first son of Edamus I and Soraa proved his incompetence to rule. He and his wife were both corrupted by the mother.

Torgaard and Mista: The second son of Edamus I and Soraa ruled with an iron fist and an iron heart. He slew his wicked mother for he bore no love, and he decreed that any Khara must abdicate upon the death of the Kharec. His wife withered in his presence.

Torphaar and Astrigis I: The last son of Edamus I and Soraa tried to restore the true rule of Imther.

Phalron I and Aidea II: This son of Phalajaa I and Soraa was as corrupt as his origins.

Torphaar: Torphaar returned from exile to end the corruption. He brought with him the children of Shargat who scoured the land.

Philex and Arlia I: The other son of Phalajaa I and Soraa slew Torphaar and sought sexual power on the sacred altar.

Torphaar: Torphaar returned again, this time from the dead to bring an end to this dynasty. He strode from his gray tomb and where he walked plants withered and men fell.

The Valusi Dynasty
Daxus Valusi: He brought the power of Yelem and Khelmal to bear upon the evils of the court and cleansed the land and altars. He renewed the magics and the world with his virtue.

Rinian I and Cadma I: Known as the "Good", Rinian saw the fall of the Empire Without Friends. He drove out the last of the evil tricksters, Vaient Windmask.

Edamus II and Miabe I: The son of Rinian I was dominated by his wife, said to be an avatar of Nealda. She gained the Loom of Binding from the mountain goddess Mia Phora.

Cadmus I and Miabe II: The son of Edamus II. He fell to the Ashen Withers.

Rinian II and Cadma II: Known as the "Holy", Rinian II was so devoted to the Great Temple of Khelmal that his face had a golden radiance. He formed the Defenders of the Dome and marched with the True Golden Horde. Cadma ruled nine years in his name until his death was confirmed.
- -..

Daxus II and Arlia II: Son of Rinian III. He was called the "Yellow Knight" for his splendid accouterments. He sat atop his tallest tower and watched the Red Moon rise over Imther.

Starbeck: Son of Dixius II and called "The Mad". He took no wife and he fought ten foes, including the Mad Sultan, Jannisor, and Onstheus the Champion. In a great frenzy, he finally tore himself to pieces.

The Rhynite Dynasty
Memnon III and Norea III: With the blessings of Jannisor and the strength of Onstheus, Memnon Rhynite took the throne and renewed the blessings of the land for the good of us all. He, too, shall be called "Great".

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #438