God Learners

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 11:44:16 +1300 (NZDT)

David Cake:

>>>The God Learners (taken to mean the group of
>>>people capable of God Learner magic) were far from unified, politically or
>>>intellectually.

Me>>They were unified both politically and intellectually. They had
>>universities which churned out degrees by the thousands and they
>>all owed allegiance to the Middle Sea Empire.

> Maybe its because I work in a university (though not for much
>longer, today was resignation day) that I find the reasoning that 'degrees
>churned out by the thousands' implies 'intellectual unity' rather
>hilarious.

Do they teach Gnosticism at the university? Or perhaps Taoistic Alchemy? Tantric Sex? Haruspicy? Charismatic Healing? Or perhaps they inculcate the Wisdom of the West (and its take on all the other traditions)?

> And as for unified politically? I deliberately defined 'God
>Learner' to include not just the Jrusteli, but all the other allies of the
>Middle Sea Empire who had access to their magic techniques, many of whom
>owed no direct allegiance to the Emperor (ie the Six Leggeds, the pirates
>of Teleos, the early FDR).

And what did they do that screwed up the Cosmos? Ergo there's no reason for including them in, is there? And besides the Pirates of Teleos _were_ part of the God Learner Empire.

> Rather, its because they have universities that I imagine constant
>intellectual debate. Which in turn encourages them to test their theories.

And experimentation is inherently evil? How else where they supposed to find the truth?

>>Your take on the God Learners required people to have opposed the
>>Manhatten Project before it left the Drawing Board.

> No analogy is perfect. The Manhattan Project was, after all,
>secret.

And yet people were invited into the project did not oppose it when they learnt of it.

>But take, for example, the current cloning humans debate.

A new way to make identical twins. Which is somehow supposed to lead to The End of the World as We Know It.

> And the good reasons for the Manhattan project have not stopped
>people from condemning it.

But they condemn it out of _ignorance_.