Re: Theyalan Exegesis

From: Shannon Appel <appel_at_chaosium.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 10:36:37 -0800

>>Why not simply bite the bullet and admit that the Esrolians and
>>Caladranders are no longer Orlanthi?
>
>They still are members of the Theyalan culture, though. They have the
>same religious background as the Orlanthi to their admittedly very
>variant main deities. Esrolian notions of Aldrya or Issaries don't
>differ much from Heortlander notions.

I don't believe the Caladralanders ever had the same culture as the Orlanthi, other than as part of the OOO's Kingdom of Night. They were the constantly rebelling fire worshipers that got all the bad press. Real primitives who practice human sacrifice, throwing hapless victims into their volcanos in order to appease the spirits.

>This means that the Orlanthi had no representative out of their own
>ranks on the Dawn Council (I doubt Aram was descended from the
>Vingkotlings,

Aram is very much not a Heortling/Vingkotling, but he became the representive by wooing Kero Fin and becoming the King of Dragon Pass (like Argrath later does). After 178, when Aram dies and there's a contest for Kero Fin's necklace, a new person becomes the King and thus the human representative of the Council -- probably a Heortling.

>and I find the Haranding claims to descent from the same
>Orlanth Vingkot claims as his father rather weak

Very much so. The Harandings are boar Hsunchen who decided to stay in Esrolia when the rest of their tribes were chased out, during the darkness. They swear an oath to their Vingkotling conquerers, and become as brothers, but they turn right around and break it. Just can't trust those boars.

Shannon