Pent Ridge

From: Michael O'Brien <mob_at_bayswater.schnet.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 15:58:49 +1100

G'day all,

Pent Ridge

Richard asks:
> I've also just read in a couple of places about a Sun County prison.
> I must admit this was a new idea for me - I didn't think the concept
> of incarcerating criminals existed in Glorantha.

The concept of a prison is a new idea for the Count too! Solanthos has recently re-established the old salt mines at Pent Ridge, out in Vulture's Country. Sun County worked the mines centuries ago, but abandoned them during the Solitude of Testing period of nomad domination. The presence of the Lunars (and their Sable Rider allies) has enabled Count Solanthos to get it going again, and he has recently begun showing a cheerful readiness to banish all manner of criminals, hazia addicts, deviants and troublesome outsiders there for periods up to lifetime enslavement.

> Why do people end up in prison rather than strangled, mutilated,
> executed, or whatever?

Well, not only is Pent Ridge becoming very lucrative for the County, Solanthos sees it as a solution to the Hazia problem sweeping his domain. Perhaps influenced by the Lunars' Xaroni example, addicts and petty criminals are sentenced to the mines for a season or five in the expectation that this will somehow straighten them out. I imagine such thinking will be about as successful there as it is here in the RW.

Scenario Hooks, thought up on the fly:

(BTW, the Byzantines thought mutilation a *merciful* alternative to execution. The criminal, deprived of nose/tongue/hands/eyes/feet/whatever was the fashion would have ample time to pray for forgiveness of their evil deeds, learn humility and prepare themselves for the hereafter while they slowly starved to death in a life of destitute beggary. If they were killed straightaway, they would have had no opportunity to repent and would therefore be condemned to hell for eternity!)

Cheers,

MOB
Michael O'Brien
Bayswater Primary School