various, mostly Pamaltela

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 16:33:07 +0800

Jeff "not Nick" Richard
>for me the term "Orlanthi" simply means (1) they worship Orlanth as a
>premier storm god and (2) acknowledge that Orlanth and the Lightbringers
>ended the Darkness. Or to cite a published work, turn to page 16 of Gods
>of Glorantha and look at the little map.

        Well, by that definition the Kitori are Orlanthi. They might not think that being premier storm god is all that important, and they might not regard the Lightbringers as being quite as worthy of veneration as the gods who kept them alive during the Darkness while Orlanth was off in Hell trying to undo the damage he caused.

        Nick and MOB can rest easy that at least one person interpreted the reference to Sarenash in the spirit in which they were intended. I always just assumed that Yolanela had merely a good grasp of history.

Peter Metcalfe on the Six Leggeds
>I think the Six-legged Empire was really an indigenous version of
>the God Learner Empire created by converted natives rather than a
>gloranthan version of apartheid South Africa.

        I think that the leadership of the Six Legged were mostly from Fonrit and nearby, perhaps connected to the Sorcerers of Kalabar. I agree with Peter that most of the leadership were doraddi racially, though I don't think that many of them were natives of Jolar or Kothar, at least not in the initial stages of the empire. Of course, you would have the occasional white adventurer joining in, from Umathela or Jrustela, but I think it was mostly a Fonritian incursion. They probably conquered Laskal as well. Thats not the only possibility, but its my favoured option of the moment.

        Though there is some reasons for doubt about the details, though. Hon Hoolbiktu was not merely restoring the Doraddi lands to their pre-Six Legged state. Quite a lot of post Hon culture is actually brand new. The Doraddi think Hon Hoolbiktu was a part of their gradual evolution towards an idyllic existence in which they have learnt to avoid all the bad aspects of civilisation. While I don't think they rode before the Six Leggeds came, it is likely that the did have some of the other trappings of civilisation that they now lack. I think they did have larger settlements in the pre-Six Legged era, and the somewhat odd permanently settled but only by old people oases are a remnant, for example.

        So its possible that the while the current Doraddi would be straight away hostile to Six Legged civilisation, the pre-Six Legged Doraddi where more open, and indeed many of them willingly joined the Six Leggeds. I don't really think so, though.

>The sources talk about foreign gods, so it's my opinion that they
>imported some gods from the north and worshipped them in the plains.
>I don't think they made any real attempt to God Learn native spirits
>preferring to place their trust in the obviously superior wisdom from
>the north.

        I agree that they imported many foreign gods. But there is a strong temptation to lump all the many out of place mentions of Pamalt and other Pamaltelan gods (ie Pamalt in the Ernalda writeup, the Pamaltelan Lodril) as God Learnerisms, and thus obviously the work of the Six Leggeds. Ergo, they DID try to God Learn the native religions. And they probably succeeded - - Baba Ulodr is pretty much identical to Lodril now in many peoples myths. And the idea of Pamalt as the southern Earth King, Generts counterpart, is also something I don't think is original to the Pamaltelan religion, along with the attempt to turn his pantheon into an earth pantheon.

>Personally I think it's a region of glorantha where one can make up
>facts on the fly.

        Indeed. And I do.

> I do believe that they unleashed the plague that
>destroyed the Elf Empire of Errinoru which means they survived past
>975 but they would have perished before 1202 ST (when the Katelites
>return).

        We know they used plague, and also that Hon Hoolbiktu used it against them. So it seems very likely to me that one or the other was responsible.

        Cheers

                David