guilds

From: Joerg Baumgartner <jorganos_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 13:25:15 CET

Richard Develyn wondered

> RQ2 had a section on Alchemists Guild, Free Sages, Thieve's Guild,
> Horsemasters Guild, and so on. RQ3 doesnt. What is the situation with
> guilds in Glorantha? In particular, I'm interested in Alchemists

My take on this is three-fold:

  1. These guilds were in large part to give previous experience. RQ3 has a different approach to this, so the guilds weren't needed.
  2. The Sartarite cities are in fact much smaller than was implied in RQ2, and these extensive guilds probably don't exist in most cities. In particular, I wouldn't expect Thieves Guilds in most of the cities on the RQ2 map -- the cities simply aren't big enough to warrant an organization of thieves (to say anything about even a handful of full-time thieves). A few cities, such as Jonstown or Boldhome, might have rudimentary guild structures. (And huge ones like Nochet certainly would.)
  3. Alchemists in particular didn't really make RQ2 more fun. You'd get that dreadfully boring Blade Venom or other poisons.

I suppose there's also

4) RQ3 is generic, and guilds aren't.

So I think guilds were dropped as being not too typical of Glorantha (and
certainly not Sartar or Prax), and hardly a standard model for a generic culture.

Joerg Baumgartner (via Hotmail)
mailto:joe_at_toppoint.de