Orlanthi and storms and Harmast

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 14:53:35 -0800

Vesa Lehtinen writes:
>However, I do not see why Orlanth-worshipers of any kind would be
>automatically _afraid_ of storms. Maybe a city matriach calls his
>Orlanth-husband to perform some rites so that the water (required by the
>crops IMO, fertility magic or not) does fall but the thunder and lightning
>do not cause any significant damage. (That=B4s why I also think that the
>mainly Orlanth Thunderous aspect is recognized in Esrolia.)=20

I don't buy the assertion that somehow Orlanth worshippers dig destructive storms. 39 folk just died in Florida this week because of tornadoes. Huge windstorms are terrifying - especially when accompanied by thunder and lightning. Hail storms are the terror of farmers everywhere. You worship Orlanth in part to propitiate such a powerful force or to use it against your foes.

>Ahem... I do not think they would recognize _Harmast_ at all (male Ralian
>the last time I heard about it) but there is a possibility that they have
>their own "representative" doing the similar thing alongside him.

No. Harmast was a not a male Ralian - he was a Heortling. Believe me, the Esrolians would definitely recognize Harmast and his activities. His activities had a lot of direct impact on Esrolia.

Jeff