Apology to Peter Metcalfe

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 17:56:00 +0800

Peter Metcalfe said
>David Cake:
>
>Has some pretty interesting questions. But I'm not really
>interested in responding to them as he evidently thinks it
>fair game to invent quotes from me such as:
>
>:And then you say 'if they didn't screw up the cosmos, and think it
>:was a good idea at the time, then they weren't God Learners'

        I apologise for any offence, it was unintended. Single quotes I thought indicated an attempted paraphrase or similar, double quotes (or of course > or similar line prefix in email) an actual quote. We used to call them 'scare quotes' back when I was studying philosophy, to indicate that they usually mean something like 'content is my dubious interpretation'. I apologise if anyone was misled by that. Also, Peter, I wish to apologise for my unintended posting of that message on the digest, as you know it was accidental and regrettable.

>before knocking them down and accusing me of strawmanning in
>the same paragraph(!)

        It was an attempt at summary of a complex exchange. Certainly I made a strawman of your rhetoric - in an attempt to summarise what I perceived as a flaw in your argument. I apologise for any offence caused - though I certainly don't think the offence warranted the torrent of abuse you sent me in private on this issue.

        For myself, I remain open to discussion on all topics, but will endeavour further in future to avoid the sort of protracted and largely rhetorical debate in which Peter and I were so recently embroiled, for numerous reasons. Sometimes it is simply better to let the matter lie.

        Cheers

                David

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #456