Humakti philosophy

From: Steve Rennell <software_at_spis.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 10:41:40 +1100

Simon writes:
> How does that logic fit with guilt and remorse? The ideal Humakti
> shuns such feelings

Ah, but I think it shouldn't be so much "Feel Guilt and Remorse for nothing that you do" as "Do nothing for which you would feel guilt and remorse". Part of the purpose of geasa being to train the discipline necessary to be aware of your actions all the time so that you do nothing for which you would feel guilt and remorse.

> Most Humakti are Thanes and Housecarls first, they embrace the
> deathbringer because it suits them and their people for them to do
> so.

Although I have some sympathy for this view, and indeed held this to be obvious until recently, How does it fit with the "cutting of kin ties" that has been mooted as a large part of being humakti?

If you have cut your ties with your Kin, (and thus you have only your honour to guide your actions, rather than familial demands) then how can you be a proper Thane if you have no ties to the people you are protecting/ruling?

I lean away from the cutting of kin ties personally, because I like the idea of family traditions of worshiping Humakt, and serving your family, clan and Tribe honourably to the death. Having a family tradition seems a bit difficult to achieve if you have no kin. I'm quite happy to see people thinking that Honour is more important than Kin ties, but I don't want to see Kin ties being ignored all together.

Cheers

Steve