Six-legged empire

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 22:05:19 +1300 (NZDT)

David Cake:

> I think that the leadership of the Six Legged were mostly from
>Fonrit and nearby, perhaps connected to the Sorcerers of Kalabar.

Depends on what you mean by Fonrit. It was a deeply fragmented place and I don't think the Sorcerers were God Learners.

>Of course, you would have the occasional white adventurer joining
>in, from Umathela or Jrustela, but I think it was mostly a Fonritian
>incursion.

Fonrit was not completely conquered by the God Learners IMO. I thinking more along the lines of adventurers from Goan armed with new magic.

>They probably conquered Laskal
>as well. Thats not the only possibility, but its my favoured option of the
>moment.

I strongly doubt this. Much about Kothar and Tarien is only assumed from details about Jolar. If the Six-Legged Empire didn't expand into those regions then why would they conquer Laskal which is far less attractive (ie covered with light jungle and hills)?

IMO the Six Leggers and/or the Goanese claimed control over Laskal. However this control was largely illusory as the terrain prevented effective government. So apart from a few towns along the Laskal Road, much of the Ia Rawthi remained untouched by the God Learner magics, although they quite willingly professed support for the God Learners whenever one showed up.

>The
>Doraddi think Hon Hoolbiktu was a part of their gradual evolution towards
>an idyllic existence in which they have learnt to avoid all the bad aspects
>of civilisation. While I don't think they rode before the Six Leggeds came,
>it is likely that the did have some of the other trappings of civilisation
>that they now lack.

I take completely the opposite view and posit John Hughes 'Left Footpath' tribes as the original inhabitants of Jolar. Since the Dawn, the Ia Rawthi should be expanding into the plains of Jolar. Since they haven't, I assume their cereals don't grow too well in Jolar.

Thus IMO the Six-Leggers took over the oases by force and represented a radical cultural change.

>I agree that [the six leggers] imported many foreign gods. But there is a
>strong temptation to lump all the many out of place mentions of Pamalt and
>other Pamaltelan gods (ie Pamalt in the Ernalda writeup, the Pamaltelan
>Lodril) as God Learnerisms, and thus obviously the work of the Six Leggeds.

Pamalt is worshipped in many other places other than Jolar. Even now there is confusion over whether Pamalt was born in Kothar or Taluk Mormadak. As for the Ernalda cult writeup - I'd junk the descriptions of Ernalda's role in Pamaltela as knowledge now known to be incorrect (much like the Dendara cult writeup) rather than assume the God Learners transplanted Ernalda to Jolar.

IMO the cult of Pamalt that the Six-Leggers used was the God Learned version of Pamalt that was developed using native cults in either Fonrit or Laskal. The Six-leggers brought it south and imposed it upon the Doraddi. When the Six-leggers fell, Hon Hoolbiktu had _his_ version of the Pamalt cult replace the corrupt six-legged version.

Hon may have come from Taluk Mormadak which would explain why the second age lineages appear to give Kothar as Pamalt's origin. Hon's cult gets transplanted into Fonrit circa 1202 ST and would have from there spread into the rest of Fonrit and the Elf Coasts.

>Ergo, they DID try to God Learn the native religions. And they probably
>succeeded -- Baba Ulodr is pretty much identical to Lodril now in many
>peoples myths.

Doubt it. Baba Ulodra resembles Turos more than anyone else and Turos isn't God-learned by a longshot.

>And the idea of Pamalt as the southern Earth King, Generts counterpart, is
>also something I don't think is original to the Pamaltelan religion, along
>with the attempt to turn his pantheon into an earth pantheon.

Considering that Pamalt is a natural chieftain figure, it gets very hard to imagine him as not being the earth king.