Pamaltelan civ

From: D. Pearton <pearton_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 11:29:30 -0800 (PST)

Taking my life into my own hands I enter a debate with the Killer Kiwi.

David "False David #3" Cake
> Peter Metcalfe and I discussing the Six Legged Empire and related things
> [I said 'the Doraddi think they are progressing away from the trappings of
> civilisation, and were actually more outwardly civilised before Hon
> Hoolbiktu']
>
> >I take completely the opposite view and posit John Hughes 'Left Footpath'
> >tribes as the original inhabitants of Jolar.
>
> The Doraddi views on the progress of civilisation originate with
> Sandy, and I like them too, more than I like the Left Footpath stuff, so
> I'm sticking with it for now, at least as representing recent history.
> Certainly, I think the Doraddi were more civilised in the Second Age, and
> are deliberately less so in the Third (and claim to be much happier for
> it), and this change is a result of Hon Hoolbiktu.

I must admit that I support this view of Doraddi (d)evolution. Why would the Doraddi be so hypocritcal? They have all these marvelous examples of the evils of "progress" - the Artmali, 6-leggers. I can certainly concieve of an entire culture decieving itself in this manner - I just don't see any plausible reason why they should in this case (Occam's Razor and all that).

I also have the ulterior motive of wanting mysterious ruins belonging to ancestral doraddi similar to the Zimbabwe ruins and the Matopas, etc. I can certainly see room for the equivalent of the Queen of Sheba, etc in Pamaltelan history.

Peter, why do you see the need to believe that _everything_ that a culture says about itself in any published sources is a lie?

The False David then goes on to discuss how Pamalt might be considered an "Earth King" but puts it much better than I could so I'll just state my agreement.

> Richard Develyn

gives a great Sun County scene. Thank you!

Cheers,
Yak