Re: Murder at the Peace Banquet

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 07:28:12 -0500

Alex Ferguson waxes irrelevant.

Not news, really. But nonetheless:

> Nick Brooke waxes lyrical on the time when:

>> our Sword PC was grievously offended by his Orlanthi brother snatch-
>> ing his weapon at a peace banquet and using it to slay his long-time
>> foe, a Yelmalion -- nice how mythic resonance works, isn't it?

> I'm curious as to which player that was, but perhaps names should
> remain omitted to protected the guilty. There's a fine line between
> Mythic Resonance and Shameless Pastiche. ;-)

OK, for the record: the Humakti Sword was Corwyn, played by the great Steve Thomas, both of "Tales" fame; the vengeful Orlanthi was Cullean, played by Dave Gordon; the slaughtered Yelmalion was Egrid the Enlightened,  from up near the Far Point. The murder happened at the Governor's Peace Banquet in Boldhome: the first time the Greydogs had been to the capital. Fazzur had called the clan and tribal leaders together to get auxiliary levies for his forthcoming campaign.

Everyone was disarmed on entering the banqueting hall, except for the Humakti (of course), who wouldn't give up their weapons for anyone, but whose word is their bond. Egrid came by to mock his old foe, and Cullean (always hot-tempered) grabbed his brother's snickersnee, the only weapon to hand, and cut down his enemy with one memorably good blow. No referee prompting involved, beyond the subliminal.

The whole set-up was marvellously carried out, but perhaps you had to be there to appreciate it. I can see how a cynic who wasn't might think it was "Shameless Pastiche" -- for me, it was one of the highlights of playing in David Hall's campaign.

The aftermath was Corwyn's kin-severing (he returned from the Humakt Temple as the new Sword-Thane of our Chieftain), and our heavy involvement  in the front line of Fazzur's campaign into Heortland. Where we discovered the mysteries of Humakti sex at the sack of Smithstone... but that's another story.

::::
Nick
::::