Ah, souls!

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 04:49:34 GMT

Andrew Behan writes lots of neato stuff about Pelorian lineages and names; pretty nifty, for a Dub. ;-)

> The idea was that when someone in the lineage died the "personality"
> part of their soul (Vrimak? I can't remember) was passed onto the next
> baby born into the lineage.

Missed this one. When did it appear? I think Vrimak is Intelligence rather than Personality per se, but maybe close enough for these purposes.

I found the GRAY and E.iad material on the 5/6/7 flavours of soul very interesting, and wondered how the Pelorians saw their (separate?) progression, and how they would regard someone who was notably lacking one or the other. (Burroughs' _The Western Lands_ has a passage where various people are diagnosed as suffering from a missing Ka, and a couple of other (Egyptian-style) soul parts.) I suspect Pelorians' failings and positive attributes are often subscribed to a deficient or exceptional Bird or Heat, or whatever. And we know from Yelmgatha's case that someone _can_ incarnate one or more of another entity's soulparts,  piecewise.

An off-the-top-of-his-head reaction from Greg to this was something along the lines of that if somneone were _entirely_ missing a soul-part, they'd be undead, or some such perversion. But this could also explain Hsunchen, and "Emptied" sorcerors, and the like.

> BTW naming customs weren't homogenized, for peasants at any rate, in
> England until after the Black Death so I'm sure that the same is true
> in Peloria.

You mean Peloria has, or has _not_ had the Black Death (yet)? ;-)

> Elmela: A Brolian Solar Story.

Jolly good stuff.

Slainte,
Alex.